New York Peace Institute Response to COVID-19
Dear New York Peace Institute Community,
During this unprecedented health crisis created by the spread of COVID-19, New York Peace Institute is firmly committed to continuing to serve our clients and our communities by offering our services remotely. We are also prioritizing the health of our clients, volunteers, staff and partners. Please note the following important information.
Free Conflict Resolution Services
Although our offices will be temporarily closed during the COVID-19 outbreak until health care officials advise it is safe to reopen them, our programs are not shutting down. We take our motto, “Let us get in the middle” seriously and will continue to do what we do best―provide high-quality mediation, conflict coaching, and restorative processes free-of-charge―though now, those services will be provided remotely via a video or telephone call instead of in a conference room at our center or at a courthouse.
This is a stressful time for our City and country and this crisis will have a major impact on the health, economy, and well-being of our community. We know that with these difficult times will also come significant conflict:
- If you are experiencing a conflict of any kind and are interested in mediation and/or conflict coaching, please call 718-834-6671 or visit https://nypeace.org/get-help/ to fill out an online form.
- If you have a conflict related to Housing, Civil, or Small Claims Court, please reach out to Samantha Adler at Sadler@nypeace.org or 718-834-6671 x 400. Effective March 16 at 5:00pm, all courts will be closed for all non-essential functions; however, we can still provide free conflict resolution services remotely to help you resolve many of those disputes outside of court.
- If you have a family, co-parenting, Special Education, or Early Intervention matter that you would like to resolve in mediation, please reach out to Carol Himes at email@example.com and our staff will set up a remote mediation session for you.
- If you have a Criminal Court case and have been referred to conflict coaching, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 347-442-7592. If you have been referred to mediation, please email email@example.com. Our staff will set up a remote session for you within the court timelines.
- If you are interested in a restorative or community conference, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Training and Events
All scheduled in-person trainings and other activities have been cancelled and/or postponed. This includes the Basic Mediation Training scheduled to start on March 25th, and the PeaceRaiser, which was set to take place on April 30th. If you were registered for the Basic Mediation Training or already purchased tickets for the PeaceRaiser, be on the lookout for an email with more details about those events. You can also reach out to Elena Margarita McCalla at email@example.com for any other questions related to training. For questions related to the PeaceRaiser, please reach out to Anna Keye at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to our volunteers, partners, and community for supporting NYPI as we transition to this new remote model. We hope you and your families are staying safe and healthy. Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any other questions or concerns.